Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Ramadan


Every year, for 30 days, Muslims all around the world participate in Ramadan.  During Ramadan, Muslims fast from sunrise until sunset in order to be grateful to God for what they have and to feel for those who are not so fortunate.

Misjudgment occurs when we say that Muslims fast during this month. People think you are only forbidden of food for the duration of the day, however this is false.  In addition to refraining from eating, Muslims cannot swear, must not engage in any sexual acts, nor can they sin in any way. Muslims must also spend more time praying to God and counting their blessings. These things help a person become more patient, humble, respectful and appreciative.



After Ramadan is over, Muslim people celebrate for about three days with family and friends.  When I was around ten years old, my family and I would go visit our cousins and friends to celebrate what we call “Eid” . Children would usually get money from their parents and family as a reward for them for participating in the activities of this holy month. I would end up with about $300 after so I was quite happy for a ten year old! 

I have been fasting ever since I was eight years old, and really love doing it. Typically, it is required that Muslims start to fast from the time they are “aware”. It makes you feel really good and you really feel how the poor and unfortunate feel. I became more aware of the world. I knew how blessed I was to have everything I have, from family and friends, to food, to money and a home. I am blessed.

4 comments:

  1. I have a friend from Bangladesh who participate in Ramadan every year as well. It is a good thing to be aware of how blessed of who we are and everything we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend is Ismaili so I often hear about Ramadan. I never really knew why they did it though. It is an interesting way to learn to be thankful and I can imagine it works pretty well. Although, to do it for a whole month seems like a long time. Seems unhealthy to not eat during the busy day for that long. I know I would starve but I guess that's the point to know exactly what the poor feel like. I do have a question though. When are you said to be "aware"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is best to start fasting whenever you can bear it. Otherwise you must start when you hit puberty, but as soon as you are aware of religion and the meaning behind Ramadan, it is best to start right then. Hope that helps!

      Delete