Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Backpacking Across Europe

One of my personal dreams has been to backpack across Europe. I have heard many stories and advice from my friends and colleagues. Many of which have managed to share their good experiences as well as their bad only to make my desire to go even more. The things they learned in Europe from their experiences are something I would like to go through at least once in my life. They have shared things that you should or should not do when you plan your trip and when you are actually in Europe.

For starters, in order to get a complete experience you should travel alone. Next Europe requires a lot of planning ahead. Tickets should be browsed for months in advance and a budget should be created on your total expense of the trip. Passports and all important Visas should be ready before taking a flight out. Many of the Visas needed people aren't educated on so some research needs to be done beforehand. There are many travel discounts available for citizens, students, and everyone else. Don't miss out on a deal to save.

Once in Europe, keeping in touch with friends and family can be hard and also cause home sickness. Get calling cards rather than carrying your cell phone as the phone bills can get very expensive. If carrying a cell phone, there are many apps available that can assist you in Europe. For example, there are city guides to help you find local places to eat or places to see. Hotels can also get very expensive if you are a planning a trip for about a month across Europe.

 In such cases, Hostels can prove better. They are often cheaper for solo travelers and it helps get rid of the loneliness factor. You often meet new people; there are kitchen facilities, as well as communal places to hang out. Lastly, the best way to get to different cities is through the Eurorail. It is the cheapest and easiest way to travel continental Europe. It is also offered to anyone who is not a citizen of Europe and provides cheaper tickets to the EuroStar train which is a high speed train between London and Paris as well as Brussels and Paris.

To better plan a trip to Europe, I found a great site called Backpack Europe. This site pretty much tells you all you need to know when going to Europe and is a place I would go to do my research when travelling to Europe. It corresponded to the things my friends said as well as gave me a lot of additional info on other things.

1 comment:

  1. With unrest in the EU concerning the Greece debt crisis, the threatened Euro and Riots, I would be concerned with my safety when traveling across Europe. Would you know of any places I should stay away from if I were to travel to Europe? Would it be smarter for me to postpone any traveling Europe at this time due to economic and political unrest? I would love to travel across Europe, but the last thing I need would be to become a victim in a riot.

    ReplyDelete