Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Has our Culture Hypersexualized Breasts?


I have been teaching preschool for 4 years now, and I got to say, there are a lot of funny stories. Something kind of funny happened last week which reminded me of something I had seen on a magazine cover.

Last Thursday, one of the little girls I teach was having some separation anxiety so I agreed to let her mom stay for the first 10 minutes of class. The mom took the daughter to a bean bag chair in the corner of the room and to my surprise she started breast feeding her 3 year old. Usually I am a pretty big advocate against breast feeding in public (without a blanket), but I didn’t really see a problem with this situation because I was the only other adult in the room with 8 other children. Yet I could not help it, the situation automatically made me really awkward and uncomfortable. I didn’t say anything, I kind of just awkwardly pretended I didn’t notice what was happening and tried not to make the mother uncomfortable with my awkwardness.

This story reminded me of the Time magazine article I seen this week on attachment parenting. Looking at the cover of this magazine may bring viewers discomfort because it’s a mom causally breast feeding her almost four year old son. Attachment parenting is a parenting style which encourages parent to responds to the child’s every need and keeps them as close to the body as possible. Some things that make attachment parenting different from mainstream parenting is that it promotes bed sharing between the parents and child, responding to the child’s every cry and breast feeding until the child decides not to anymore.
 
People who defend this kind of parenting style believe there is nothing wrong with breast feeding a child until he or she is 4 years old. Some say that Western culture has hypersexualized breast to the point where we have forgotten their main biological purpose, to nurture and feed our children.

My opinion on this is, to each their own. I do feel although that this may lead to a very insecure very dependent parental attachment in the future and maybe a spoiled child. What to you guys think? Does our culture inappropriately hypersextualize breasts? Or is this crossing the line?

1 comment:

  1. I do strongly believe that with the growing need for women to look a certain way and dress a certain way due to media, our western culture has definitely hyper- sexualized breasts. To an extent I do believe that this hyper- sexualization of breasts caused by the media is inappropriate as it sets a horrible example for young women to have breasts that look a certain way. I believe that people should learn to feel comfortable with their bodies, not cut it up and re-sow it to fit a inappropriate media-inspired standard.

    ReplyDelete