Friday, June 15, 2012

What is the Stampede?


For those of you who have never heard of or been to the Calgary Stampede, I suggest you grab yourself a cowboy hat, some cowboy boots, and a big old belt buckle and saddle up for a once a year event that will have you saying “ YEE HAW!”
During the Calgary stampede you can expect to find Calgary filled with western culture as people will be dressed in cowboy hats and boots. In the Calgary stampede you can be sure to find many entertaining rides, events, concerts, games, great food, and rodeo fun including chuck wagon races, calf-roping, and more!

Some of the rides you can expect to see at the stampede include the sling shot, a ride that is shaped like a huge slingshot that flings you up into the air, and the skyscraper, a huge crane that spins rider high into the air. There are many other fun rides at the stampede for you to enjoy as well.
This year for concert events and music, you can expect to see famous bands and artists such as Karl wolf, Garth Brooks, K’naan, Simple Plan, and more!

If you’re a fan of deep fried food then Stampede is the place to be as you can enjoy deep-fried veggies, pickle chips, cakes, and surprisingly even Coke. Yes, fried Coca Cola. Other tasty treats at the Stampede include Sausage-On-A- Stick, Cotton Candy, and everyone’s favorite Mini Donuts.
Finally if you want to get the full blast of the Calgary Stampede’s western culture you have to attend the rodeo.

During the rodeo you can witness bareback horse riding and bull riding which are dangerous sports where riders must mount a Bull or a horse and stay on for as long as they can while the animal tries to knock them off.
Photo by Alan Baxter
Chuck wagon racing is another rodeo sport that you can watch. Chuck wagon racing is where a band of horses pull a wagon and a driver around a race track. There is very little room for error during these races and they are deemed dangerous.

There are many more events during the rodeo such as wild pony racing, calf- roping, and more.
If you have been to the Stampede, I’m sure you have many fond memories of your experiences. If you have yet to experience the Calgary Stampede then I suggest you saddle up as the 2012 Stampede is in less than a month! Leave a comment with any fond memories of the Stampede or if you have any suggestions of what you would want to see new at the stampede if it were up to you.

3 comments:

  1. You know its funny I've lived in Calgary for most of my life and been to the Stampede many times but I still haven't been to the rodeo. I was always to preoccupied with the amusement rides as a kid that I never thought of going. Maybe I'll change that this year. Although one of my favorite memories from the Stampede was riding the sling shot ride you described! Every year my friend and I would try and save up to go on it but with Stampede rides and delicious food being so expensive we never had enough to go by the end. Only a couple years ago did I fork up the I think it was $80 bucks a person by then to go, but it was well worth it. So much fun,I love the Stampede!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny I have not been to the Calgary in over 12 years. I don't remember much of the rides, and im sure they changed a lot now but I do remember have a good time when I was a kid.

    I might be going this year with a couple friends, seeing as it is the 100th year so I'm thinking it might be worth it. Though, as Sarah said earlier, the place is expensive! So I might not..

    If I do go, I'll make sure to check out the rodeo. I never watched the rodeo in person but I have watched it on TV for a bit and it takes a lot of gut to do what they do. It would be a cool experience watching it live in person.

    Are you looking forward to any specific music artist from the list you posted? I know a lot of people go for just that alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,
    You're blog made me think about how fast stampede was approaching. I haven't been to the rodeo before, I usually go on their rides and gamble! The food at the Calgary Stampede is to die for, it is so good! I really like the turkey leg and mini donuts! I can't wait for stampede to come!

    ReplyDelete