Tuesday, June 5, 2012

shisha love

Information on Arab's culture
Arabs are primarily living in the Arab world which is located in Western Asia and North Africa. The majority of Arabs are Muslims. Many Muslim Arabs who are conservative in their religious beliefs have a strict eating habit which does not consist of eating pork or drinking alcohol. Some of them do a fast during Ramadan. Some of the Muslim women wear long dresses and scarves to cover the body.

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic lunar calendar. The calendar of the beginnings and endings are determined by the sighting of the crescent moon. During Ramadan, Muslims around the world would spend the daylight hours fasting (not eating).
ben + tinapicture belongs to me
smoking shishapicture belongs to me
jim and i picture belongs to me




Shisha is among the most recognizable symbols of the Arab culture and the ever-growing demand from locals, residents and tourists. Shisha is tobacco mixed with molasses and fruit flavours and is smoked in a hookah. It is very fruity and light.           

It is smoked for the flavour and does not have any kind of effect. The most popular flavour are apple, strawberry, pineapple, white grape, mint and pineapple. A hookah consists of a hollow glass or clay or brass base that is filled with water. A pipe is topped with a bowl for the shisha and coals and a hose.

When one sucks on the hose, the smoke goes up the pipe and through water which makes a delightful bubbling sound. It sounds like when little kids blow bubbles into their glass of milk. Many people who smoke shisha sit for hours at a time while chatting, spending times with friends and family and listening to music. Many people prefer shisha over smoking because of the smooth and flavourful taste. The cooled smoke is pleasant because it does not tickle the throat. 
mons smoking
picture belongs to me

There are many names for a hookah
  1. water pipe 
  2. narghile 
  3. Qalyan
Some places in Calgary where you can smoke shisha are: 
  1. Cafe Mediterranean 
  2. Narah Hookah Bar
  3. Melange 
  4. Babylon Qithara
  5. Empire Shisha Bar
picture belongs to me
I personally like smoking shisha because it is relaxing and gives you something to do with your friends. I also like the taste of it. My favourite flavour is white grape because it tastes sweet and does not have a strong flavour. I think when I smoke to much of it though, it gives me a stomach ache or I get light headed. I have not been to many places to smoke shisha because I own a mini one at home. You can buy shisha and hookahs in many stores. I think they also range in price from $30-$100. If you haven't tried shisha yet, I recommend you do! It is fun to do with your friends and inexpensive! 

2 comments:

  1. I love going to Shisha bars aswell but im not sure about the dangers of smoking shisha. It seems as though Shisha smoking is becoming a very popular social activity among younger people, but I feel as though alot of people are either not properly informed or dont know about the hazards (if any) of shisha. Would you know of any of the hazards? It is smoking after all, would it be appropriate for shisha bar owners to make hazards known to customers like they are on cigarette boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've walked by the Shisha bar in Marda Loop a couple times but never tried. I rarely smoke cigarettes and thought smoking Shisha is bad for you just like cigarettes and weed. I wanna try it but don't wanna risk my health and hurt my throat. Great post nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete