Monday, June 18, 2012

Sikh Khanda


One of the most important religious symbols of Sikhism is the “Khanda” , basically the coat of arms for Sikhs. I did not know that the Khanda had so many meanings attached to it, I thought that it was just a symbol that my community and I recognized and followed, but I was wrong and did some research and the Khanda has more than one meaning to it. So I will break it down for all of you!


Khanda
image from Flickr Yahoo

The central double edged sword called the Khanda itself indicates divine strength, truth, freedom, justice and God’s creative power.

The ‘Chakkar’ which is the inner circle means the oneness of God and humanity, basically meaning that there is only one God and that humanity is also one because we are all of God’s creation.

The two ‘Kirpans’ which can be called the crossed swords represent the balance a Sikh must place on spiritual ambitions and social responsibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment