Saturday, June 16, 2012

Lebanon Travel Warning


Another year and another travel warning to Lebanon.  Every year a travel warning is issued by the US and Canadian governments alongside others; however, nothing usually happens there.  It is being exaggerated what state the country is in as I have family and friends there who are as safe as us here in Canada.  I am from Lebanon and I lived there six years without anything unordinary happening barring one incident in 2006 in a post I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. 

Photo by Flags of the World
Many countries have travel warnings but that does not mean something is bound to happen.  Travel warnings are there just for countries to say that they let you know, just in case something does happen they will not take responsibility usually.

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against travel to certain areas in Lebanon which include the North and South.  Well, this is something obvious for citizens of the country as the South is where there is conflict with Israel.  However, almost every other region is as safe as your own neighborhood.

Photo by David Baldinger
I am going to Lebanon next weekend and will stay there for a month.  I am not scared of any of these travelling warnings as it is something I got accustomed to every time I plan to go back to the Middle East.  Safety and security are the most important things to an individual, but there is nothing to be afraid of in Lebanon.  I would rather be there than to be in places like the US where people eat other peoples’ faces off… 

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! It’s the same thing like travelling to Thailand. Some people said there were some witchcraft stuff and Thailand regime is not stable. But I think it’s totally depends on the person. If you go there for the scenery, there won’t be something that scares you. If you are scared of these stories, you’d better don’t go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you refer to the cannibalism incident at the end! The media world is still ruled by the Americans so it is not uncommon for them to overblown stories in so-called 'third world' in their minds. There are dangerous neighborhoods everywhere and as long as you do not step on someone's toes then you should be safe. According to John Mayne Keynes, "in the long run we are all dead" anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what your trying to say here. Its unfortunate that we have these so called "travel warnings" that deter possible tourists. There is always risks regardless of anywhere you are, which you clearly identified with these recent cannibalism acts in North America. We all hear about the middle east being unstable and such but the truth is most people around the region are living quite comfortably with no security risks.

    I guess its all down to ones perception. Or in this case a country's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never really understood that travel warning in the first I place, but I believe that there really is no place that is without isuues of their own. Lebanon is probably a beautiful country, I've never been there but these travel warnings are probably wrong and hopefully not a people being byist at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I'm pretty sure they give out a travel warning for Lebanon about every year and there usually isn't problems. Every year they say Lebanon is unsafe, and when we phone our family they usually tell us there's nothing going on. Have a fun trip Chadi! Hopefully you wont be forced to come back on a scary boat! :)

    ReplyDelete