Monday, June 4, 2012

To Eat Hamburgers or Dumplings, It’s Not the Question!



Last week I found an article “cultural awareness” when doing online practice about rhetoric, which aroused my thinking about difference between cultures. In that article, the author talked about the meaning of cultural awareness, the reasons that people have cultural awareness and how to avoid misunderstanding between different cultures. The author gave a simple example of the different topics are talked when having lunch between Italians and Americans: Italians utilize the lunch time to relax while Americans save the time for talking about their deals.
Cultural Differences?
Provided by Zixun

           After I came here, many friends in China asked me about the life in Canada: are you used to the western food there? Do you eat cheese? Is there any Chinese restaurant there? Even though Canada is multicultural and many immigrants come here from a lot of different countries, there are still various differences between western culture and Chinese culture. Here I listed several interesting ones in my eyes:


Dinner in China
Dinner in the West
1.    In the Restaurants: when you go to the Chinese restaurants, do you feel that’s too noisy? People around tables just talk and laugh loudly. If you think those people’s actions are rude and impolite, you really misunderstand them. In the traditional Chinese restaurants, these dynamic situations are pretty common. Of course, people there could enjoy themselves with friends and families without repression, and the good business will also attract more customers passing by. In contrast, I feel the western restaurants are a little bit repressing where I need to talk in a very low volume and “act as a lady”. For example, the first time when I went to KEG steak restaurant with my boyfriend, even though I was so excited, I was trying to calm myself down and pretending to be a shy girl sitting in romantic dim lights.  

Blue and White-hostess-2008 Beijing Olympics
2.      About modesty. People have different ways to deal with other’s compliment. In the West, if somebody tells you that you are so beautiful today, you will response like “thank you”. However, in China, if you response like that, they will feel you are so arrogant and conceited. As a result, we always praise each other, even though that’s not the word from their hearts!



Menu


3.      Ordering food. Here in Canada, when friends get together to have a dinner in the restaurant, people order their own portions including everything like entrees, desserts and drinks. At first I was not used to it because we got used to order dishes together, make a menu and share the food with each other.


4.      Paying bills. It was so surprising when I heard some couples paying separate bills when dinner was done. In contrast, in China, “gentlemen” always pay all the bills especially after getting married. This is one of the most “attractive” parts for girls in Chinese cultural.
Going Dutch?


5.       Greeting: “How are you?” When I was taking ESL, my instructor insisted asking us “how are you” every day. I felt it was so boring to answer the same questions every morning, and one of the reasons was that I had tried all ways to response and after that I needed to repeat the words I used before. When I had an impulse to tell her that I was always good, I thought about my own culture: why did people ask others if they had eaten or not. Exactly, it’s just a way to express your concerns.





After showing you my experiences between different cultures, I want to share a series of cartoons drawn by a German artist with you. They show us the differences by comparing different ways in daily lives (Blue-Germany; Red-China). Hope you enjoy them!
1. Expressing opinions


2. Lifestyle


3. Punctuality


4. Interpersonal Relationship


5. The way to express anger


6. Lining up


7. Ego


8. Sunday View


9. Gathering


10. In the restaurants


11. Drinks when having a stomachache


12. Travelling


13. Standards of Beauty


14. Approach to problems


15. Three meals a day


16. Transportation


17. Later life


18. Bath time


19. Mood and weather


20. Leadership


21. Fashion


22. Kids


23. New stuff


24. Images of each other



1 comment:

  1. Wow I really like the drawings you put in your blog. I am a very visual learner so it really helped get your point across on how we perceive different cultures in different ways and how different cultures perceive different things. They were really enjoyable to look through and figure out the differences. I liked to compare them with my own culture and figure out which one was more similar to mine; which I would have to say being Canadian is much more similar to the German perspective on things.

    ReplyDelete