Monday, June 4, 2012

The Great Wall

The Great Wall, which is located in north china, is 12700 km. It starts in the east on the bank of Yalu River and stretches westward to Jiayuguan in Gobi desert. Therefore, it is known as Ten Thousand Li Wall in China.
The Great Wall
Photo by Lin
Credit: permission from my friend

The Great Wall was a great construction in ancient China. It has over 2000 years history and it goes through five provinces in China, which are Liaoning, Hebei, Shanxi, Shaanxi, and Gansu and two autonomous reigions, which are Ninxia and Inner Mongolia. According to the historical record, the origin of the Wall is to defense fortification and the year of construction was back to 656 B.C in Qin dynasty. A signal system was built up to served to communicate military information to the capital of dynasty. This system is consisted of beacon towers on the Wall and mountain tops within sight of the Wall. As the enemy approaching, smoke signals will give the alarm from the beacon towers in the day time and bonfire at night.
The great wall
Photo by st. John
Credit: http://sjuonlinenews.wordpress.com/2008/11/23/stj-passport-visit-china/
The Great Wall is divided into two parts, the east and the west. Shanxi Province is the dividing line. It is about 5.3 meters high on average in western part, and the core of the Wall is rammed earth as well as in the western part, but the outer shell is built up with bricks and rocks.
The most famous parts of the Great Wall are close to Beijing, called Badaling and Mutianyu, and open to visitors. The Wall of those parts is 7.8 meters high and 6.5 meters wide, narrowing to 5.8 meters on the ramparts.

Notes:
Li: unit of length, 1 Li is 500 meters

Here is a video I found on youtube
                Credit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzFnhN8o04



4 comments:

  1. Hello, you have interesting facts about the Great Wall of China that I didn’t know of. I’ve been to the Great Wall of China a couple of years ago with my family but didn’t walk the whole thing due to my laziness. I didn’t know it went through five provinces, that’s huge! I’m surprised that over the 2000 years it is still there and that people are able to walk across it. Have you ever been to the Great Wall of China? Some of the stairs are steep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to see the Great Wall of China! It seems so amazing, I had no idea it spanned over 5 provinces, that is really cool. If I ever do get to see the wall I definitely would want to see more than just the touristy area. I like that you added that video on your blog, now I have an idea of where I could go to see the good parts and have the whole wall to my self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Chinese were always one step ahead.

    http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/systems/mexico-wall.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. The great wall of China, it's on my bucket list. Looks like an amazing place to visit, question is should i run or walk across it? Probably walk, enjoy the scenary and what not. It's not just the wall I want to see but the landscape looks absolutely brilliant, away from the histle and bustle of the city and just out in the mountains, love the mountains. :)

    ReplyDelete